PMLP's Team is on duty 24/7—keeping your power on!
BEING A MUNI MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Peabody Municipal Light Plant is Peabody and South Lynnfield, MA’s community-owned, not-for-profit electric utility. PMLP is owned by you, our customers. Unlike investor-owned utilities such as National Grid and Eversource that must raise money from their customers to pay stockholders around the world, all of the PMLP's income is used to benefit its local customer-owners. In fact, the sole mission of the PMLP since 1891, has been, and still is, to provide reliable electric service at the lowest possible cost.
The PMLP serves all of Peabody and a portion of Lynnfield (an autonomous subdivision of the City of Peabody). With approximately 26,000 customers, PMLP is the third largest of 40 municipal electric utilities in the Commonwealth. Our power supply comes from a variety of sources throughout the Northeast, including 2 generators in Peabody owned and operated by PMLP. This local generation supports the regional power grid, but also serves as an emergency backup for our customers in case of a grid failure.
With five separate connections to the regional grid, PMLP service is highly-reliable. Many communities only have one connection. In addition, PMLP electric rates typically are among the lowest in the region. Our rates are usually 20-25% lower than neighboring utilities—have been up to 60% lower! This is a result of many factors, including power supply diversity, efficient operations, our non-profit structure and an unwavering commitment to keeping costs as low as possible for our customers.
PMLP is governed by an elected, 5-person Board of Commissioners called the Peabody Municipal Lighting Commission (PMLC). The PMLC works with the PMLP Management team to achieve our goal of providing reliable electric service at the lowest possible cost.
We also play an active role in community affairs and encourage our employees to participate in community events. In fact, many of our employees are Peabody and Lynnfield residents who already have a vested interest in community affairs.
Some examples of PMLP's community involvement and contributions:
- Hanging banners for city events
- Providing special electrical accommodations for the annual International Festival, Kids Day, and other special events
- Sponsoring the Elementary school science fairs and awards ceremony
- Making Residential Energy Audits available for Free
- Providing Heating Assistance to low income residents via the Hard Times Partnership with NSCAP
- Supporting the summer concert series, City Hall concerts and annual Peabody High School concerts/luncheons for the elderly
- Participation at and presence in local Green Peabody Municipal Light Plant activities
- Participation in local TRIAD activities
- Playing an active role in the Peabody Area Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club of Peabody
If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us by calling, visiting or sending us an email.